- ADM Biopolis VP Wins NutraChampion Award for Lifetime Achievement
- ADM Opens Enzyme Lab in California
- ADM Recognized for Efforts to Promote Workplace Diversity in Ag
- ADM Vice Presidents Camille Batiste, Alix Dowling Named Women Worth Watching
- Creating and Sharing Ag Training Videos in Uganda
- Empowering Smallholder Farmers with Locally-Made Technology
- Growing Business Alliances through Bolivian Quinoa
- Helping Students with Virtual Reality and Technology
- Innovating by Trapping and Storing Carbon Underground
- Making the “Ultimate Plastic” from a Corn-Based Molecule
- A One-Stop-Shop for Food Innovation in Decatur
- Our Commitment to No Deforestation, No Peat, No Exploitation
- Paving the Way for Growth with Vegetable Oil
- POLY4: A Game-Changing Product
- Supporting Agricultural Education in Macon County
- Study Shows ADM Protexin Live Cultures Product Could Offer Hope to Individuals with Severe Head Discomfort
- ADM Animal Nutrition Commercial Sales Manager Serves as 2019 Indianapolis 500 “Milk Man”
- ADM’s Fabiana Bianchi and Manda Tweten are this year’s Women Worth Watching?
- Making the Perfect Plant-Based Burger
- ADM and Marfrig Team Up to Produce Plant-based Burgers in Brazil
- ADM’s New Flour Mill Offers Unparalleled Efficiency and Flexibility
- Creating Chemicals that are Good for the Company and the World
- Veronica Braker on Breaking Through Barriers and Fostering Inclusivity
- Creating Climate-Smart Farming Villages in India
- How do you brew a better beer? With ADM solutions
- These are our founders. This is their story.
- ADM's Leadership in Plant-based Protein
- Driving Sustainable Mint Innovation from the Ground Up
- ?Extending the Life of Cardboard with ADM Specialty Starches
- ADM’s Most-Read Stories in 2019
- Unlocking ADM’s Identity
- Emerging Research in Worms is Early Indicator of Bio-Kult Bacteria Strain’s Potential Impact on Parkinson’s
- ADM’s Global Flexitarian Summit: The Forefront of Alt-Protein Creation
- ADM’s Wright Named A “Woman Worth Watching in STEM”
- ADM’s Mayka van Acht on the Changing Role of Women in the Agriculture Industry
- How ADM Cares is Helping One Woman in Kenya Improve the Lives of Children
- ADM’s Chief Human Resources Officer Answers your Questions about Remote Work
- Five Things ADM Chief Sustainability Officer Alison Taylor Wishes She Knew When She Started
- On the Front Lines: ADM’s Jeff Belcher
- ADM Microbiome Solutions Win Industry Awards
- Team ADM's Women Engineers On Shaping the World
- Promoting Racial Diversity and Equity at ADM
- Hunger Relief at the Heart of Our Purpose: A Conversation with ADM Cares
- Donating Microbial Food Supplements to Healthcare Heroes
- ADM Vessel Rescues Two Sailors off the Coast of the Western Sahara
- Working Together to Feed Chicagoland
- ADM Partners with Auburn University to Innovate in Poultry Feed Enzymes
- Creating an Edge in Sustainable Ice Cream Solutions with Refreshing Summer Flavors
- ADM and Bollywood Stars Partner to Bring “Imagine Meats” to India
- How One Member of #TeamADM is Helping us Fight Food Insecurity in Amsterdam
- ?Using Innovative Video Technology and Augmented Reality to Solve Problems in the Era of COVID-19?
- ? ADM’s Ganador Increases Commitment to Mexican Pet Shelters During the Pandemic
- Ganador? de ADM incrementa su compromiso durante la pandemia con los albergues mexicanos para mascotas
- ADM Joins Brazilian Business Sector in Offering Support to Amazon Council
- Strive 35: ADM’s Plan to Carry Us Forward Sustainably
- Three Key Takeaways from ADM's Climate Week Panel on Sustainability and Growth
- How ADM Supports Smallholder Vanilla Farmers
- Alian?a da Terra –Sustainable Soy in Latin America
- Growing Sustainably: The Mendota Field to Market Wheat Program
- Tackling Postharvest Food Loss in India
- How ADM is Reinventing the Vanilla Supply Chain
- Stranded Boaters Have ARTCO Crew to Thank for Their Safe Return
- Meet the Women Changing the Face of Operations at ADM Mainz
- Working Toward Zero Hunger with Concern Worldwide
- Renewable Chemicals Launches Sales of PG and Glycerin via Amazon
- ADM CEO Juan Luciano Talks to Fortune about Future of Food
- Shaping the Industry’s Conversations on D&I: ADM’s Leticia Goncalves on Building a Successful Career
- Supporting Our Veteran Farmers
- A Moving Tribute: Pink ADM Trucks Raise Breast Cancer Awareness on the Road
- ADM’s Greg Morris Talks Sustainability with Reuters
Five Things ADM Chief Sustainability Officer Alison Taylor Wishes She Knew When She Started
When Alison Taylor joined ADM as Chief Sustainability Officer nearly three years ago, she was drawn to the company’s ability to create impact at a global scale, an opportunity she still finds exciting. ADM impacts millions of lives every single day, whether through the breadth and depth of our portfolio of products and solutions derived from nature, or through our support of farmers and rural communities, or from the efforts we are making to reduce the environmental impact of our own operations. Recently, ADM unveiled ambitious new greenhouse gas emission and energy intensity reduction targets. At this mile-marker in our journey, Taylor shares her perspective on how we’re doing our part to sustain and conserve the world’s natural resources and enrich quality of life.
1. How do you define stakeholders across the value chain?
Everybody’s voice matters, and participation from all stakeholders is necessary to achieve sustainability goals. It starts at the beginning, with determining the right set of stakeholders to engage by identifying the sustainability attributes that are most material to your company. Next, it’s important to find internal and external experts capable of conducting thorough research to inform goal setting and measurement. And then, as you move into actual implementation, it’s critical to obtain input and support from stakeholders such as the Board of Directors, investors, industry experts, partners and/or an ESG committee. Balancing these voices is vital and I have found involving stakeholders early and often to be invaluable.
2. Can you define sustainability beyond environmental protection?
Environmental considerations are central to sustainability, but the concept is bigger than that. Customers today are looking at how companies behave more widely, including factors like employee diversity, community and corporate governance. All of these are critical for business success, and companies need to consider them in their totality. For example, last year, ADM created a Board Committee on Sustainability & Corporate Responsibility, solidified partnerships with nonprofit Concern Worldwide to help fight hunger, and committed to increasing gender parity. I consider all of those efforts to be part of our overall sustainability program.
3. How does first-hand experience shape your work?
Spending time visiting facilities and holding candid conversations with location managers to understand the impact sustainability goals will have on their infrastructure, processes and people is critical. Having a good two-way conversation with the people who have to execute on your goals means greater success in achieving them. At ADM, for instance, we received great buy-in from our plants and ended up successfully performing “treasure hunts” to identify hundreds of energy-saving projects at our facilities we may not have been aware of without on-the-ground relationships. Those projects, which ranged from replacing pumps and fans to improving data-management systems, were key to ADM achieving significant improvements in energy intensity and greenhouse gas reductions since 2010.
4. As a leader at ADM, how do you engage employees?
Employees are not only brand ambassadors, but also hold significant information and influence regarding where to prioritize sustainability efforts and how to meet targets. Early in a decision process, we engage employees through environmental awareness campaigns, surveys or company-wide challenges to source ideas, like we did with our “treasure hunts.” We continue the conversation by celebrating milestones and other achievements, and use those events as opportunities to encourage colleagues to think about what sustainability means for their roles. We equip employees with messaging and make it clear on company forums that these goals are only achievable with their involvement.
5. How do you set priorities?
Prioritizing the most impactful and pragmatic actions while keeping up with the pace of change is challenging. Whether your strategy is to make a few major investments or aggregate the sum of many smaller initiatives, understanding what tools, processes, equipment and technology exist in-house, and the growth landscape of each, is essential. Having subject matter experts as advisors helped us understand the relative investments needed for a wide variety of possible actions at ADM, and enabled us to create an effective and actionable prioritization matrix.
I hope that sharing these insights from my experience can help others as we work together to advance sustainable impact. I invite you to share your thoughts and experiences so that we can continue the conversation.