- ADM Biopolis VP Wins NutraChampion Award for Lifetime Achievement
- ADM Opens Enzyme Lab in California
- ADM Recognized for Efforts to Promote Workplace Diversity in Ag
- ADM Vice Presidents Camille Batiste, Alix Dowling Named Women Worth Watching
- Creating and Sharing Ag Training Videos in Uganda
- Empowering Smallholder Farmers with Locally-Made Technology
- Growing Business Alliances through Bolivian Quinoa
- Helping Students with Virtual Reality and Technology
- Innovating by Trapping and Storing Carbon Underground
- Making the “Ultimate Plastic” from a Corn-Based Molecule
- A One-Stop-Shop for Food Innovation in Decatur
- Our Commitment to No Deforestation, No Peat, No Exploitation
- Paving the Way for Growth with Vegetable Oil
- POLY4: A Game-Changing Product
- Supporting Agricultural Education in Macon County
- Study Shows ADM Protexin Live Cultures Product Could Offer Hope to Individuals with Severe Head Discomfort
- ADM Animal Nutrition Commercial Sales Manager Serves as 2019 Indianapolis 500 “Milk Man”
- ADM’s Fabiana Bianchi and Manda Tweten are this year’s Women Worth Watching?
- Making the Perfect Plant-Based Burger
- ADM and Marfrig Team Up to Produce Plant-based Burgers in Brazil
- ADM’s New Flour Mill Offers Unparalleled Efficiency and Flexibility
- Creating Chemicals that are Good for the Company and the World
- Veronica Braker on Breaking Through Barriers and Fostering Inclusivity
- Creating Climate-Smart Farming Villages in India
- How do you brew a better beer? With ADM solutions
- These are our founders. This is their story.
- ADM's Leadership in Plant-based Protein
- Driving Sustainable Mint Innovation from the Ground Up
- ?Extending the Life of Cardboard with ADM Specialty Starches
- ADM’s Most-Read Stories in 2019
- Unlocking ADM’s Identity
- Emerging Research in Worms is Early Indicator of Bio-Kult Bacteria Strain’s Potential Impact on Parkinson’s
- ADM’s Global Flexitarian Summit: The Forefront of Alt-Protein Creation
- ADM’s Wright Named A “Woman Worth Watching in STEM”
- ADM’s Mayka van Acht on the Changing Role of Women in the Agriculture Industry
- How ADM Cares is Helping One Woman in Kenya Improve the Lives of Children
- ADM’s Chief Human Resources Officer Answers your Questions about Remote Work
- Five Things ADM Chief Sustainability Officer Alison Taylor Wishes She Knew When She Started
- On the Front Lines: ADM’s Jeff Belcher
- ADM Microbiome Solutions Win Industry Awards
- Team ADM's Women Engineers On Shaping the World
- Promoting Racial Diversity and Equity at ADM
- Hunger Relief at the Heart of Our Purpose: A Conversation with ADM Cares
- Donating Microbial Food Supplements to Healthcare Heroes
- ADM Vessel Rescues Two Sailors off the Coast of the Western Sahara
- Working Together to Feed Chicagoland
- ADM Partners with Auburn University to Innovate in Poultry Feed Enzymes
- Creating an Edge in Sustainable Ice Cream Solutions with Refreshing Summer Flavors
- ADM and Bollywood Stars Partner to Bring “Imagine Meats” to India
- How One Member of #TeamADM is Helping us Fight Food Insecurity in Amsterdam
- ?Using Innovative Video Technology and Augmented Reality to Solve Problems in the Era of COVID-19?
- ? ADM’s Ganador Increases Commitment to Mexican Pet Shelters During the Pandemic
- Ganador? de ADM incrementa su compromiso durante la pandemia con los albergues mexicanos para mascotas
- ADM Joins Brazilian Business Sector in Offering Support to Amazon Council
- Strive 35: ADM’s Plan to Carry Us Forward Sustainably
- Three Key Takeaways from ADM's Climate Week Panel on Sustainability and Growth
- How ADM Supports Smallholder Vanilla Farmers
- Alian?a da Terra –Sustainable Soy in Latin America
- Growing Sustainably: The Mendota Field to Market Wheat Program
- Tackling Postharvest Food Loss in India
- How ADM is Reinventing the Vanilla Supply Chain
- Stranded Boaters Have ARTCO Crew to Thank for Their Safe Return
- Meet the Women Changing the Face of Operations at ADM Mainz
- Working Toward Zero Hunger with Concern Worldwide
- Renewable Chemicals Launches Sales of PG and Glycerin via Amazon
- ADM CEO Juan Luciano Talks to Fortune about Future of Food
- Shaping the Industry’s Conversations on D&I: ADM’s Leticia Goncalves on Building a Successful Career
- Supporting Our Veteran Farmers
- A Moving Tribute: Pink ADM Trucks Raise Breast Cancer Awareness on the Road
- ADM’s Greg Morris Talks Sustainability with Reuters
How One Member of #TeamADM is Helping us Fight Food Insecurity in Amsterdam
Jamilla Abdulle is a passionate advocate for food security, with an expertise in food law. She also happens to be ADM’s regulatory affairs manager based in Amsterdam. When she read about the rising food insecurity in the city, and the struggles faced by food banks during the pandemic, she felt called to action. Jamilla sent in a proposal to the ADM Cares team to support the Amsterdam Food Bank, a non-profit organization feeding the hungry.
More than 1 million people live below the poverty line in the Netherlands, a situation that has worsened as a result of COVID-19. Within the first few weeks of the pandemic, there was a 25% increase in the number of households that qualified for help from the food bank, which works with companies, governments, various institutions and individuals to collect food donations and feed people in need on a weekly basis.
The unprecedented situation also brought additional challenges. During the peak of the pandemic in Europe in mid-March, panic buying in grocery stores and stockpiling of food supplies meant that there was less food leftover for grocery stores to donate to foodbanks and lockdown measures caused disruptions in food donations. Additionally, the organization’s volunteers, most of whom are in their 60s and among the most vulnerable to COVID-19 were advised to stay indoors, making them unable to continue volunteering.
Operating during the pandemic
With food donations drying up and a lack of volunteers, the organization had to adapt. To meet the need, the food bank began purchasing basic food supplies to provide decent food parcels, each consisting of 20 essential items, and significantly increasing their costs. The implementation of social distancing and other measures to ensure the safety of volunteers and those seeking food throughout their 12 food delivery points in Amsterdam also made it necessary to rent additional space, further adding to their expenses.
“These partnerships are so essential for us, especially in these difficult times. We are dependent on donations of money and food, and during the pandemic it’s a matter of survival. The ADM Cares donation is helping us offer our most vulnerable clients decent food parcels with basic food supplies,” said Margje Polman Tuin, fundraising manager at the Amsterdam Food Bank.
With lockdown measures easing in many parts of Europe, the Amsterdam Food Bank is trying to restart collecting food donations.
“In these unprecedented times, disruptions in the global food supply and people buying in bulk in the Netherlands is something that really concerns me, because it takes away affordable and basic food items from the most vulnerable. That’s why it makes me proud that ADM Cares is helping the Amsterdam Food Bank provide basic food parcels to those who need it the most,’’ said Abdulle.